Friday, December 08, 2006

The kind of people there are out there...


First up,heres a picture of me at work,in the background are the 3 macaws that i look after throughout the day=)

Today i came across 2 situations that allowed me to see the different aspects of the human heart. Firstly,for the incident that happened in the morning,i admit it was my fault...Basically what happened was i had locked all my belongings including my keys inside my locker and thankfully another person working in the zoo but in another department had the spare key to the lock. So i had arranged to meet up with him outside the elephants of asia exhibit to obtain the spare key from him so that i could open up my locker. Well the problem does not lie with this friend of mine...But rather,after taking the key from him,i had wanted to make my way back to my department. As i was on my way back along the road,i came across 2 elephants and their 2 keepers who were on their way to the elephants bath location. As the elephants were only occupying half of the road and one of the keepers had saw me and i was rushing for time,i assumed that it was alright for me to walk past them since my presence had been acknowledged and the road still had space for me to travel on. But the thing was after i passed them,the other keeper who had been blocked by his elephant earlier saw me and he shouted out " boy,you cannot see elephant issit?!" I turned around,apologised to him and continued to walk as i was really running late and that was then when he shouted again "boy,elephant you can walk like that issit?!" Though i cannot remember his exact words,i think it was something like that. I do admit that it was my fault for not consulting with them if i could walk by but then again,i had assumed that since the first keeper did not stop me even when he saw that i was walking towards them,it was alright. But that was not all,,at the end of the whole day,i saw the same keepers at the elephant rides area again and they were just sitting around,waiting to see if any tourists came by wanting to have a ride on the elephants. I saw that the keeper who shouted at me was there and he was looking in my direction.I was not sure if he was looking at me but i just stuck up my hand and waved at him to acknowledge his presence in a bid to greet him but the next thing he did made me question if he did it on purpose or not....he actually looked away!. For a moment i felt disgusted...In my heart i was wondering if he did it on purpose because of the early morning incident or because he really did not see me. I hope it is the latter but if it is really for the first reason then it really tells alot about his character....I mean,what do you expect?He is aware that i am new and i already made it a point to apologise for my mistakes but if you are someone with so much grudge in your heart then how do you expect people to work with you in future? In my heart i was wondering,if it was a tourist or someone he was on good terms with who did that,would he still react like that. I wouldn't want to guess so much but my gut feeling was he would have just let it pass...To me,i felt that it was right that he shouted at me at that instant when i walked past because of my safety but i do not feel that it is right that you actually keep it in mind for so long.

Secondly,while i was at the bird photography area today,i was discussing with one of my colleagues about how i felt improvements could have been made to some of the management policies. Apparently at the bird photography area,we are supposed to keep it squeky clean. After the birds have had their meals,we are supposed to sweep up all the leftover foods from the floor. This i understood because all the bits of uneaten apple and other foods looked really unsightly. But the thing was,some of the management staff were so particular to the extent that they had to even question the reason for having a spray meant for the birds out at the photography area.The spray is used to help the birds drink as well as cool off on very hot days like today so me and my colleague just left it at the photgraphy area since we were constantly using it. But after being questioned about why the spray was out in the open,i was telling my colleague how i felt about the matter.I was saying that i understood that it was neccessary to keep the photography area clean but i felt that it need not have to be done to the extent that even things used for the welfare of the birds had to be kept out of sight unless in use at that point of time.My colleague then rebuked me and kept trying to reason about the management's stand,sounding so defensive about the management. Perhaps my colleague really did feel that way but if it wasn't the case and all that my colleague was trying to do was to protect personal interests and not wanting to sound as if disagreeing with the policies of the management,then i feel that my colleague really has no guts to stand up for whats right but instead choose to go with the flow for "safety sake".

Lol,in just one day i express so much of my feelings...But frankly speaking,working in an environment like this really allowed me to see alot--to see the good the bad and the ugly.Maybe it is just me and my PMS or perhaps my observations are truly right,that people are indeed like that...If thats the case,then it is really sad don't you agree?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home